Come journey with us as we seek to focus every road we take on the Gospel.

3.30.2005

Tibet

This past summer I spent 5 weeks in China teaching English. It was an amazing opportunity to experience a new culture and be a witness of Jesus Christ to some of my students who had never heard the gospel before. The religions that we came into contact with most in China were Taoism and Buddhism. I had never been exposed to either of these religions and both made me step back and wonder how someone could submit themself to such a system of belief. But they did just that. I had another amazing opportunity this summer. During the last week of my trip to China, myself and two of my friends were able to go into Tibet for just over a week. What is Tibet? "The Rooftop of the World". Home of the mighty Himalayas. And one of the capitals of Buddhism. And we stayed in the heart of it all, Lhasa. The capital of Tibetan Bhuddism. Former home of the exhiled Dalai Lama. Home of the Jo Khang temple, where many Tibetan Bhuddhists make a pilgrimage in their lifetime. What I saw in Tibet has left a lasting imprint on my life. The Lord used the experience to teach me many things, but two things specifically. First, I am overwhelmed at the amazing freedom and hope that I have in Christ. The Buddhists in Tibet are in bondage. They are bound to customs and traditions that have been passed down from their ancestors. Their bondage stems from their commitment to the "Four Noble Truths" which are: all beings inevitably endure suffering; the cause of suffering is desire; the cause of desire can be contained; and to contain the cause of desire one must follow the path of Buddha. Therefore the Buddhist seeks a lifestyle of purity in word, thought, and deed. Because Christ has paid the ultimate price for me and all of God's wrath was poured out on His Son, I am not under the bondage of the law but I am free because of Christ. Second, the dedication and commitment of the Buddhists is mind-blowing. They string prayer flags from mountain peak to mountain peak. they go on a pilgrimage where they prostrate themselves every step of the way. They constantly spin prayer wheels. Their commitment to a false religion is amazing. It was a great rebuke to me as I go throughout my day, busy with school, relationships, entertainment, and Starbucks, how much more commited are the buddhists to a false god than I am to the true God? The trip to Tibet was both enlightening and sad. I would not trade it for a thing. Not to put them on the spot, but maybe the Little Sheep and the Lo Dog can add their experiences and insights...

2 Comments:

Blogger jcwhite said...

Hey j.r.

The Buddhists each responded in their own unique way. We had a few of them in our classes and they loved to talk about religion and to compare and contract. They were very open to discussion about both religions.

Some were not as receptive to us. The Buddhists in Tibet were very forward and "in your face". Even to the point where I eye-witnessed a monk head-butt one of my good friends.

When a Buddhist monk approached me about giving money to him for a building project, I opened my pad of paper and drew a cross on it(He spoke no english) and then showed him the drawing. The monk nodded and walked away.


I have not read the book by Zacharias. Is it a good one?

4/06/2005 10:08:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'The Lotus and the Cross'is an apologetic type book of Buddhism. It is very interesting and also very short. It is formatted as a conversation between Jesus and Guatama over a girl.

Sorry about the anonymous stuff.... I forget my user name and password.

4/18/2005 07:35:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home