Come journey with us as we seek to focus every road we take on the Gospel.

3.08.2005

"..That they may be one..."

I remember back in my junior year of high school wanting to preach on John 17, the "High Priestly Prayer" of Jesus. I remember seeing so many times Christ praying to the Father that His followers would be one, just as the Son and the Father are one. LO brought up a good point in responding to my questions about fundamentalism. He said that "a good argument could be made that the one thing that has characterized Christianty through the ages is division". Corey aslo raises the question of the unity of the believers in his response to the post. Why does Christ call us to be unified? "that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me" (John 17:21 ESV) WOOHH!?! What is Jesus saying? Is our Lord saying that we, as Christians, have the opportunity to show the world a witness of God sending His Son to this world to save man, just by living is unity with eachother?!? What an amazing opportunity! If we can believe the promises of the Bible, the very words of our Savior, one of the most powerful witnessing tools given to the believer is the union that is alive and active with other believers through Jesus Christ. This is evidence of a changed life that is now controlled by the Hold Spirit. The world cannot have that kind of union and fellowship. Can they? I have been attending meetings on a monthly basis with some Muslim friends that I have made. We are involved in sharing eachother's worldviews, discussion, and developing friendships. The men from the mosque are very kind and generous. I began to talk to a man one night at the mosque who was not a Muslim, but was very interested in the religion. We talked for some time and that night he told me that he had experienced and "tried out" many different religions and denominations including Christianity and Baptists. He said, and I quote, "of all the places that I have visited, I have never experienced such love and sense of community as I do here in this mosque." My heart sank. How tragic that those who do not have the love of Jesus Christ can be better examples of love than I can. Why is that? Why is there a lack of unity among believers? Why is the love of Christ not seen by unbelievers at times? What are we letting get in the way of true unity with eachother? Your thoughts....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought about what you have shared so many times...mostly when i come out of a situtaion where unbelievers have showed me greater hospitality or a greater commitment to their beliefs then Christians.
When i went to the mosque last semester i was blown away by the way the women treated us in the respect that they all wanted to meet us and make sure we were taken care of first instead of theirselves. The way they 'worshipped' also made me realize that in most churches it seems that Christians take God and make Him more into our Friend instead of seeing Him as the Creator of the universe.
I also went to a catholic mass a few weeks ago b/c i have a few family members who are catholic and i wanted to see how catholics worship. No one was really friendly but the way that they respected the thought of God in church was a rebuke to me! And the fact that the church was packed on a SATURDAY night when it takes born again believers all they have sometimes to get up in the morning to go to church on sundays. It also made my heart sad to know that the vast majority of the congregation in the church were just singing or responding out of habit...had a religion but not a relationship...
so how do we have reverence and hospitality or do we sacrifice them in the circles we're in!?
The fact is that we're selfish...and we wonder why ppl dont' want to become christians..we don't take time to invest in other lives but expect them to invest in our own and in the ONE we proclaim. we have for the most part a onesided mentality.
I'm pretty sure by this point i've strayed from the topic into my own thoughts on another subject and i'm sorry for that.
We are letting our pride in Christ get in the way..and yes i think there can be a pride in Christ where we get too much of ourselves and our views and lose focus of Christ. So basically we let ourselves get in the way... i've had to remind myself on a daily basis to empty out myself so that God can be filled up in my life so i'm not seen and He is.
i think i'll think about this more and write later..i have to get to class....

3/14/2005 12:36:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home